DISCIPLINE CULINARY ARTS
CURATED BY Prahlad Sukhtankar
CURATORIAL ADVISOR Shaeen Gomes
10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Old GMC, Panjim
Our workshop on ‘Traditional Goan Bread Making’ will focus on how Goan bread came into existence, to making of different types of bread, to how the bread making occupation is perceived in today’s so called ‘Modern Goa’ and how we, as a younger generation have taken up various initiatives to restore pride back into this mother culture.
I. The visual presentation will comprise of the following (30 mins)
1. History and introduction of bread by the Portuguese in Goa
2. Bread as an integral part of every Goan’s life
3. Introduction to types of bread- Pao, Poiee, Katre Pao, Poxe and Kankonn.
4. Demonstration on the process of bread making
5. Use of coconut toddy (traditional method) VS the use of Yeast (modern substitute) in bread making
6. Baking bread in a traditional wood fired oven VS electric ovens
7. GI (Geographical Indication) for toddy bread
8. ‘ProudToBePoder’- an attempt to make this occupation an inspiring source to inculcate the value of ‘Dignity of Labour’ in every other traditional occupations of Goa
9. Govt capping off the priceof the bread.
10. Difference of hindu and catholic bread making .
II. Tasting session (15mins)
1. Types of bread
2. Bread made with toddy and yeast
3. Wood fired baked and electric oven baked bread
III. Q & A (15 mins)
Disclaimer : The views and opinions expressed in any performance, artwork or installation do not reflect the official policy or position of the institution.